[G4] Re: Dying Sawtooth status was 'Help, I think my Sawtooth

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 17:23:59 PDT 2006

On Oct 16, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Steve Goldstein wrote:

> But, I'd guess that the drive with OS X is either dead or corrupted.

You're the second person to suggest that Carol has a bad drive or file
system problems. I don't see how people are making this leap as
nothing she has said gives any credence to this. To the contrary once
she rearranged some of the internals of the machine (which causes
settings to be reset) it booted as expected into all of her partitions
- until she powered it down, whereupon the booting problem reappeared.
Sure sounds like a battery problem to me.

Given all the myth and superstitious behavior that goes hand and hand
with Mac trouble shooting I'd suggest that people make a note of the
following site:

Mac PRAM, NVRAM, CUDA/PMU & Battery Tutorial: What, When & How?
http://www.geocities.com/texas_macman/pram.html

Apple's Knowledge Base also has trouble shooting guides for various
problem situations.

Carol, you might want to check out: PRAM Battery Checker at http://www.polar-orbit.com/software.html
.

Phil