[G4] Sleep Causes Crash

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 22 14:33:18 PDT 2006

A PCI-USB card caused sleep freezes with my G4 Dual 867. My computer would freeze immediately after the screen turned black when I put it to sleep. (It wouldn't power down.) I had to shut down in order to restart.

I only had this problem, however, when certain devices were plugged into my USB 2.0 card. It happened with my iAudio U2 MP3 player/recorder plugged in as well, IIRC, as with my external hard disk connected and mounted. It doesn't happen with my HP printer connected nor, IIRC, with my Kodak camera connected. As is obvious, I don't recall all the details. In particular, I don't recall if display sleep triggered the freezes but I don't think so!. I don't care to experiment as long as everything is working, but that's the place to look if you have such a card.

 - Aaron