[G4] Monitor problem

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 22 15:24:14 PDT 2006

I doubt that the monitor is the problem if you don't get the distortion from anything but the scroll bar and tab. Monitors are not, AFAIK, intelligent enough to tell the difference between a scroll bar or tab and anything else of similar shape or size.

An interesting test would be to take a screen shot of the scroll tab, open the saved image and move it around near the right edge to see if it causes the same distortion. If, as I expect, it doesn't, then the problem is not with the video subsystem (monitor or card), but in the software.

BTW, if you live in a major metro area (in the U.S., at least) you can probably find a good used 17" monitor for $25, or a 19" for under $50. I'd never buy a NEW monitor unless I needed to switch to an LCD, and even then I'd try to find a used one. (It's also better for the environment!)

 - Aaron

P.S. I just saw your second post in which you mention having four "winboxes" in the house? Can you connect one of their monitors to your G4? If you can, you'd have a pretty good idea if it's a monitor problem or not.