[G4] Monitor problem

Gene Steinberg gene at macnightowl.com
Sun Oct 22 14:15:16 PDT 2006

On Oct 22, 2006, at 2:09 PM, Les Berkley wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I just getting back into Macs because someone gave me a Sawtooth G4
> 400. It
> came with a 17" Apple Studio, which is where my problem is. The
> monitor has
> this weird behavior. When I open a fairly large window (any app
> will do), so
> that the scroll bar is close to the right edge (~4 inches or less),
> there is
> an odd wavy distortion in the window and the black edge of the
> screen, at
> the vertical location of the scroll tab. If I move the scroll tab
> up or
> down, the distortion moves with it! The distortion is greatest when
> the
> scroll tab is smallest (i.e. long window).
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this? I figure the display has lived
> quite a
> while, so it may simply be failing. Degaussing doesn't help, nor does
> changing refresh rate or res.
>
> TIA,
> Les

Today, you can get a superior 17-inch or 19-inch digital flat-panel
monitor for no more than a few hundred dollars. If you aren't put off
by the name "Dell," you'll find they have a magnificent 24-inch
model, better to my way of thinking than Apple's equivalent (the 23-
inch HD Cinema Display) for less than $700. So maybe it's just time
to retire that 17-inch and look for something new. I don't think a
repair is worth the bother.

As to the monitor itself, perhaps it's just getting interference from
an appliance or lighting system, so maybe moving it will have some
effect. Otherwise, consider option A :)

_ _ _ _
Peace,
Gene Steinberg