[G4] Re: Tiger - single or family license

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sun Oct 22 15:25:47 PDT 2006

On Oct 22, 2006, at 5:15 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 10:14:44 -0700
> From: keith_w <keith_w at dslextreme.com>
> Subject: Re: [G4] Tiger - single or family license
> To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers."
> 	<g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

>>> keith_w wrote:
>>> No. So long as you don't actually use, or sit at both computers at
>>> once, your usage is the same as a "single seat."
>
>> Are you saying that, legality aside, I could install Tiger from the
>> single user discs on 2 computers with no problem?
>>
>> Carol
>
> That's my belief.
> Think about it.
> If you had a single user license, and to be absurd about it, you
> installed it in 10 computers, here and there.
> Yet, those computers are in fact, never used by anyone but you, which
> means no other entity benefits from a single seat license, you are,
> also
> in fact, adhering to the letter of the multiple use laws.
>
> keith

Carol/Keith:

I must honestly throw ice water into this discussion.

Legally, the "single seat" argument does not wash with Apple.  The
Apple license terms clearly spells out the rules.  Carol needs either
the "family license" or two separate licenses for two computers.  If
you buy new boxes, the family license is cheaper than two separate
licenses.  If you buy used, possibly you could find two separate
license for less than one family license.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple
Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License
does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at
a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a
network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.