[G4] Monitor problem

Peter Schaff schaffpa at whidbey.net
Mon Oct 23 05:19:12 PDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 4:55 AM, Les Berkley wrote:

> I have a local salvage outfit that owes me a favor. I will try to
> borrow a
> known-good LCD from them and swap it for the CRT. If the distortion
> continues, then I will eBay a new card.
>
> I admit I would like an LCD for the sharp text. I understand that
> the true
> 8-bit ones will calibrate fairly well as well? Anyone with experience?

LCD is a temptation, for sure.  For best performance, it must be
"digital" and you must run the natural resolution.

A good one is very sharp, I'd judge it as very slightly sharper than
my Princeton 19" CRT (a jewel!).

I'm still a CRT guy myself.  The main thing I fault LCD for is the
angle of view.  It's like looking down a tunnel at your picture.  If
you're not in the sweet spot it gets washed out.  Whenever my wife
shows me something in Photoshop on her 20.1" Sceptre I have to chase
her out so I can see it properly.  If it's only one person at a time,
this is not a huge problem.  Small and light is good.

I'm anxious for SED technology to ripen.  It's basically a flat CRT
(uses phosphors and provides it's own light), is lightweight and
efficient, but without the viewing angle problems.  I want one for my
living room too.  ;)  Probably in 5 years.  Hope they can do it.

  - Peter Schaff

2.3GHz dual core G5 PowerMac, 4GB, 250GB x2, OS 10.4.2, SoftRAID
Dual 1GHz G4 MDD PowerMac, 1.5 GB, 80GB x2, OS 10.2.8
iMac: 600MHz/768MB/40GB/10.2.8
3400C PowerBook, OS 9.1
Brother HL-1870N laser, Epson R340 inkjet, Minolta 2430DL color laser
Epson 2450 scanner, DAC-100 A/D