[G4] Monitor problem

Les Berkley wogears at fast.net
Mon Oct 23 04:55:29 PDT 2006

Exactly correct. It's as if the scroll bar were a magnet that was "pulling"
the screen image. Imagine the pixels being iron filings.

{Snip)
> Still.. when filter caps go bad
> more then one circuit is affected and very strange symptoms are certanly
> seen. And it's a given that electroletic caps are going to be bad! Still
> wouldn't one not suspect a video card instead?

Sadly, I haven't got a spare vidcard to put in. My other monitor is a huge
CRT (on a Wintel box) that I can't easily move, so it would be very hard to
swap it out for the Apple.

> Does this monitor plug into a wall outlet? Or the computer it's self?

This is a 17" Studio CRT. It has an AC line cord and a SVGA (? 15-pin) video
cord.

> We can't see this distortion or it's action
> so....... *shrug*
>
> Kristen

I have a local salvage outfit that owes me a favor. I will try to borrow a
known-good LCD from them and swap it for the CRT. If the distortion
continues, then I will eBay a new card.

I admit I would like an LCD for the sharp text. I understand that the true
8-bit ones will calibrate fairly well as well? Anyone with experience?

Special thanks to Ben, Kristen, et. al. Lookslike I found the right list!

Les