[G4] Monitor problem

Kristen kriss at pobox.mtaonline.net
Sun Oct 22 23:36:34 PDT 2006

Well Ben, what you said was my first thought. However, this distortion seems
to be static and when the scroll bar is moved so does the distortion. As if
the distortion is video being displayed. If it's the SMPS caps then this
distortion would be dynamic in appearance. Irresepctive of where the scroll
bar is at. Since Les states the distortion is fixed with the image displayed,
it's difficult to blame the power supply. Still.. when filter caps go bad
more then one circuit is affected and very strange symptoms are certanly
seen. And it's a given that electroletic caps are going to be bad! Still
wouldn't one not suspect a video card instead?

Does this monitor plug into a wall outlet? Or the computer it's self? My Apple
cinemax plugs into the computer only. If it's connection is computer only
then the monitor isn't to blame (could be, but unlikely I'm saying) as it
derives it's power and signals from the video card, which is an intermediate
circuit to the power supply. We can't see this distortion or it's action
so....... *shrug*

Kristen

On Sun October 22 2006 1:57 pm, Ben Smith wrote:
> Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:09:12 -0400
> From: Les Berkley <wogears at fast.net>
> Subject: [G4] Monitor problem
>
> Hello all:
>
> I just getting back into Macs because someone gave me a Sawtooth G4 400. It
> came with a 17" Apple Studio, which is where my problem is. The monitor has
> this weird behavior. When I open a fairly large window (any app will do),
> so that the scroll bar is close to the right edge (~4 inches or less),
> there is an odd wavy distortion in the window and the black edge of the
> screen, at the vertical location of the scroll tab.

" If I move the scroll tab up or down, the distortion moves with it! "

> The distortion is greatest
> when the scroll tab is smallest (i.e. long window).
~ snip ~