[G4] Browsers not opening

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Fri Sep 8 10:54:38 PDT 2006

I can think of nothing which will cause ALL of these browsers to
spontaneously quit, other than a corrupted operating system.

Forget about viruses; there aren't any.

My best suggestion, unless you want to make a career of troubleshooting this
problem, is to back up your data and reinstall the operating system.

I STRONGLY suggest moving up to Panther or Tiger.  These are night-and-day
better operating systems, and most modern browsers require at least Panther
(10.3) to be fully supported.  Safari 2.0 under Tiger is a far better
browser that the Safari 1.0 which shipped with Jaguar (10.2).

At the same time, max out your RAM; your Mac will run faster and more
reliably if you do.  OS X gets wonky if it is forced to do much disk
swapping to make up for lack of RAM.

HTH,
Robert (also in Denver)