[G4] Target Disk Mode ?

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 19 01:06:12 PDT 2006

On 19/9/2006 3:18 PM, "SLarsonIH at aol.com" <SLarsonIH at aol.com> wrote:

> I have a QS in the living room, and a MDD in the den. Can I take the MDD to
> the living room, connect power to it, connect the two Macs via FW cable, but
> not hook up monitor, keyboard or mouse, etc. and see the drives in the MDD on
> my
> Qs so I can transfer files back and forth? If so, what steps do I take? Both
> machines have 9.2.2 and 10.3.9 on them.

Well notebooks do it just by holding down the T key during startup, I have
no idea if their bigger brothers are soo well behaved, but it is the first
thing I would try.

Second thing is a simple ethernet cable should work. I have all my computers
networked via ethernet through a router, I don't see why it wouldn't work
without the router. Worth a try.

And firewire might be worth trying too

But, the simplest thing of all is to get yourself a USB memory stick in the
size of the biggest files you think you are ever likely to move. In 12
months they have nearly halved in price so they are affordable. No lugging
around computers, no fiddling with cables and wondering if something will
work. Any computer with a USB port will show the memory stick as a drive,
you fill it up by drag and drop and can move your files to a computer on the
other side of the planet if you want to. I bought one thinking it might be
useful. In fact it is always getting used, and I have to hide it from wife
and sons because they are always looking for it.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art