[G4] Re: MiniMac or G4 Upgrade

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Wed Sep 20 18:46:08 PDT 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 9:28 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:27:55 -0500
> From: "Richard Northouse" <rnorthouse at wi.rr.com>
>
> I have a Quicksilver (G4,  OSX.Tiger, 3 drives -- 80g, 180g and 120g,
> 1gig
> ram, Superdrive, 17" apple display, 733mHz clock). I have been thinking
> about getting a processor upgrade to maybe 1.6-1.8 gHz.  But today a
> friend
> was telling me about his mini-mac duo. It has a 80 g drive, 512 meg of
> ram,
> a Superdrive, with a 1.83 gHz clock.  The list price is $599 (or maybe
> 699 -
> I might have forgot).
>
> But this little baby is about the price of the processor upgrade -
> plus I
> get the ability to run Windoz. I can probably put my second and third
> drives
> on a firewire box. I can also up the memory to a gig or two. My Apple
> display and keyboard will plug into the new box.
>
> I do a lot of Microsoft Office (word, excel, powerpoint), some
> Photoshop,
> and internet stuff.
>
> So what is the best deal  -- upgrade or minimac?

I like the Mac Mini Core Duo for the things you like to do, if you
don't mind the extra clutter.  You can sell your QuickSilver to help on
the cost of RAM for the Mini, or you can keep it and admire its looks.
The QuickSilver is also a nice backup machine.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.