[G4] G3 / G4 ?

Hal kastegir at mac.com
Fri Apr 6 07:40:38 PDT 2007

Dan,

Congrats on getting  G4 ZIF for your beige tower. The reason you're
seeing the chip running at 333 is probably that the motherboard
jumper block is still set to 333 from the factory. The Sonnet card
probably overrides this, but the Apple ZIF is clocked by the original
jumper block. You can pull off the jumper block and use mini jumpers
(like the kind you use to set jumper settings on a hard drive) to
adjust the speed. I always found Radio SHack to be a good place to
get these.

There is a great page on jumper settings for G3s at xlr8yourmac.com.
If the chip is rated at 400mHz, you can probably push it to 433, but
I'd get it running at 400 first.

I just upgraded a 400mHz G4 tower (Gigabit Ethernet) with a 533mHz
chip I had laying around from another G4 tower I no longer own. I was
able to reclock it to 550 and even 600mHz and it's completely stable,
though your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

-Hal