[G4] PROBLEMS INSTALLING OS 9

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Apr 6 11:06:11 PDT 2007

On 22 Mar, 2007, at 6:36 AM, marco santos wrote:

> I hope somebody will be able to help me on this matter because I
> have been struggling over this for two weeks.
>
> My profile:
> Powermac G4 AGP Graphic 450 Mhz (Sawtooth)
> Running OS X Panther 10.3.9
>
> I bought an processor upgrade for my computer @ OWC. It's a Dual
> 1.0 Ghz. When I started the process to install it, I got a message
> saying I had to upgrade my firmware (now I don't remember to what
> version).
>
> So, I borrowed an OS 9 original disk from a friend of mine that
> owns an old imac, but I couldn't install it on my computer. After I
> boot from the disk and after OS 9 starts and loads all the drivers
> BUMMM , I don't know what happens, the thing is the computer just
> stops (not frozen). I can move the mouse, but I can't go anywhere,
> there is no option on the screen for me to access.
>
> I heard that I have to use the original disk for Powermac G4, so I
> got one from another friend that owns a Quicksilver (G4 750 Mhz)
> and same thing happened.

Did you have OS-9 installed on your G4 before you tried to upgrade
the processor?

One thing to remember is that you have to have OS-9 installed on the
drive in order to update the firmware. I don't remember anything that
indicates you can update the firmware without having an active OS-9
system already installed on the drive.

Also, you may need to reinstall the original processor and do the
firmware update with it instead of the new processor.

When I have had to update firmware, I install OS-9.1 on the drive and
then run the updater from a OS-9.2 CD. Then, just follow the
instructions that show up on screen when you double-click on the
firmware updater. This usually does the job for me if I can
coordinate my hand properly with the beep of the updater program. If
you hold the button too long, it makes you try again and again to
activate the updater.