[G4] Mixing internal drives

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:58:31 PDT 2007

On Mar 28, 2007, at 4:37 PM, JayB wrote:

> Mine:  500 APG (sonnetted up to 1gig), 1 gig ram.
>
> Built @ Apple with 2ea internal 18gig Ultra SCSI drives.

Not sure what you mean by this.

> One SCSI died.

Did you remove the dead drive and was it the last drive on the cable?
In other words is your SCSI chain still properly terminated?

> On advice I got here, I bought a Maxtor 100G ATA (it's really a
> 112Gigs) and plugged it into the Ultra ATA port on the motherboard.

How is that drive jumpered? Is it the only drive on the cable? If so
is it the last drive on the cable?

> Finally, I pulled the plug on the SCSI drive and normal behavior
> ensued.

As I implied above I suspect that your SCSI chain is no longer
properly terminated.

> Question: Is the trouble because the bus doesn't like having BOTH
> ATA and SCSI on the bus? Or is it because the combined gigs is
> beyond 128?

No and no.

> Or something else?

Yes. :-)

Phil
--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that
we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only