[G4] upgrade and hardware issue v2.0

Erin Anon nire01 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 14:03:49 PDT 2007

>one thing that I can think of do you Have A DVD player? I think
>10.4 comes only only on DVD

It is a dvd-rom drive.

>you might want to repost the problem again. I've dumped all

Ok, thank you.  Follows is the edited version of the original post:

I have a PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics) with 400MHz processor and 1gb of ram and
I'm having a few issues.
First is an upgrade issue:
It currently has 10.3.9 on it, and I've gotten two different upgrade dvd's
from two different people for 10.4 but I keep having the same problem. Now,
the only reason I'm upgrading to 10.4 is because someone said that I would
like widgets and they just randomly gave me the disk.  I was happy to stay
at 10.3.9 since it works flawlessly, but now the fact that I cant upgrade is
really bothering me.
I put the dvd in the dvd drive, and it just spits it right back out after
thinking about it for about 5 seconds.  The cd/dvd icon never shows up on
the desktop. I've tried rebooting and holding c but that just does the same
thing. One of the dvd's was dvd-r but the other was dvd+r. I'm thinking the
drive is probably fine since it plays normal dvd movies and can run an
ubuntu livecd just fine as well. And my mac does apparently have firewire,
so thats not an issue.
Any ideas?

Second:
I'm looking for a second opinion on a possible faulty ethernet nic.
Has anyone heard of the ethernet nic being faulty for only getting about 1/3
of the speed available?  I know the problem is localized to my computer
since my roommate's computer (when hooked up via the same ethernet cable to
therouter) gets close to full speed.
I used ubuntu as a live cd and ran the same speedtests and it got the same
speeds, so I'm thinking that its not some type of driver issue.
Could this be some type of setting thats incorrect on my computer, or is it
really the hardware like I suspect?
Also, is it worth getting a new ethernet nic for it, or would you recommend
that I just buy a wireless card for it?
Oh, and does anyone have any ideas and opinions on airport original wireless
cards (my mac is compatible with those) versus pci wireless cards?  I'm
leaning towards pci wireless since the airport original would only be
wireless b.

Again, any advice for any of my issues is appreciated.

-Erin