[G4] upgrade and hardware issue v2.0

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Apr 8 17:55:04 PDT 2007

On 8 Apr, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Erin Anon wrote:

> Ok, thank you.  Follows is the edited version of the original post:
>
> I have a PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics) with 400MHz processor and 1gb
> of ram and I'm having a few issues.
> First is an upgrade issue:
> It currently has 10.3.9 on it, and I've gotten two different
> upgrade dvd's from two different people for 10.4 but I keep having
> the same problem. Now, the only reason I'm upgrading to 10.4 is
> because someone said that I would like widgets and they just
> randomly gave me the disk.  I was happy to stay at 10.3.9 since it
> works flawlessly, but now the fact that I cant upgrade is really
> bothering me.
> I put the dvd in the dvd drive, and it just spits it right back out
> after thinking about it for about 5 seconds.  The cd/dvd icon never
> shows up on the desktop. I've tried rebooting and holding c but
> that just does the same thing. One of the dvd's was dvd-r but the
> other was dvd+r. I'm thinking the drive is probably fine since it
> plays normal dvd movies and can run an ubuntu livecd just fine as
> well. And my mac does apparently have firewire, so thats not an issue.
> Any ideas?

Yes, indeed.

It looks like your "FREE" disc is not a bootable disc, just a simple
copy disc which does not have the necessary files on it in order to
use as a boot/install disc. If the disc was copied using the wrong
program (one that does not create bootable discs), you will not get
everything on it that comes on a real install disc. Also. when your
computer spits out a disc without showing it on the desktop, it
usually means that that disc has not been written to yet and is still
virgin vinyl. Therefore, you will not be able to view the disc on
your desktop when it is inserted.
Secondly, the DVD+R disc may not be compatible with your Mac's
reader. Some of the older readers are not able to see a DVD+R, only
DVD-R discs show up.
Thirdly, what does FireWire have to do with the problem of not seeing
a DVD? Those functions are separate processes and do not depend on
each other to work properly.

Solution: Get hold of a real install disc and try it in your DVD
drive. This might cost you some money.

> Second:
> I'm looking for a second opinion on a possible faulty ethernet nic.
> Has anyone heard of the ethernet nic being faulty for only getting
> about 1/3 of the speed available?  I know the problem is localized
> to my computer since my roommate's computer (when hooked up via the
> same ethernet cable to therouter) gets close to full speed.
> I used ubuntu as a live cd and ran the same speedtests and it got
> the same speeds, so I'm thinking that its not some type of driver
> issue.
> Could this be some type of setting thats incorrect on my computer,
> or is it really the hardware like I suspect?
> Also, is it worth getting a new ethernet nic for it, or would you
> recommend that I just buy a wireless card for it?
> Oh, and does anyone have any ideas and opinions on airport original
> wireless cards (my mac is compatible with those) versus pci
> wireless cards?  I'm leaning towards pci wireless since the airport
> original would only be wireless b.

You made me a little confused - which speed are you talking about
with the ubuntu CD? The slow speed that you got without the CD, or
the faster speed of your roommate's computer.
First, I would verify that the network cable is solidly connected. It
may be loose in the socket. If you are trying to use a third-party
card, it may not be totally compatible with the Mac OS. That is the
second place I would look for a problem. Then I would look in the
Network settings to verify that I hadn't done something radical to
upset the normal settings. After that, I would call my ISP service
tech and ask how my settings should be to get the best service from
them.

As to using Airport, the original Apple AirPort card is slower than
the newer ones but exactly how fast can you read and type? I am using
802.11b and g in a G4 Gbit and a G5 Tower and both are faster than I
can move. The biggest factor that I can see in choosing which method
to use is the cost.

Buying a newer 802.11g or n card would probably cost less than trying
to get an original Apple card through eBay, and you wouldn't have to
keep a close watch on the auction time limit, either. If you have the
room, go for the newest as long as you make sure that it is
compatible before you put your money on the counter.