[G4] 450 OSX question

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Apr 20 02:31:06 PDT 2007

On 19 Apr, 2007, at 10:25 AM, Philip J Robar wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2007, at 8:58 AM, Hal wrote:
>
>> ... In many cases, system CDs that are made for specific systems
>> (like this one) will not install on other systems. They look for
>> specific hardware to key the install and will not properly install
>> on another system.
>
> Do you have any evidence or references to support this assertion?

He may not, but I certainly have experienced the refusal to install
on a model that the CD did not list on its label.

Specifically, it was an installation CD for an iMac SE model that
refused to install on a B&W G3 tower. The CD mounted at startup, but
when the installer was activated, it produced a dialogue window with
a statement that the machine it was inserted into was NOT the model
that the CD was intended for. It also only gave the options to quit
the installer or to perform a restart.

I had not looked at the model designation when I pulled the CD from
the drawer and I had thought that I was holding a generic OS install
CD instead of an iMac SE installer version. Perhaps having a
conversation involving other activities was the distracting factor,
but it was a bit of a shock to see the refusal dialogue when I
launched the installer.