[G4] Wear on Extra HD

Richard Kriss rmkriss at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 24 06:52:09 PDT 2007

I have a G4 1GHz AGP with two hard drives (200 GB Seagate primary and 160 GB
Western Digital backup).  Every few days or when I think about it I clone
the primary to the secondary drive.  This has save my six a number of times!

When not really in use I open Disk Utility and Unmount the secondary.  I
think this turns off the drive saving wear and tear but I am not sure?

Also, how can I train the G4 to start with the secondary drive unmounted? If
I decide it is needed I could always use the Disk Utility to mount the
drive.

Dick