[G4] Wear on Extra HD

O'Brien obgraph at hiwaay.net
Tue Apr 24 12:26:15 PDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:00:56 +0000, nagable at comcast.net wrote:
> I think if the drive is plugged in, it runs whether or not it is
> unmounted.  Unmounting may save wear and tear on the heads, but not
> on the bearings.  Why don't you simply open the case and unplug the
> power supply?

But, the heads don't touch anything when the drive is running, do they? plugging and unplugging the power seems like an awful lot of trouble (and wear on the plug and socket). Those power plugs can often be very difficult to get to and/or unplug. If the drive really doesn't power down when unmounted (is this right?) and a person wants to not have it running, it seems like a better choice would be to use an external drive for backup. An external drive would have a power switch.

O'Brien