[G4] MDD no start, grey screen, no bong

Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net
Wed Apr 25 09:12:04 PDT 2007

Ran and booted for months with no problem when restarted or after
shutdown but on coming back from sleep-mode was dicey. Last
productive days it would startup on maybe one out of four attempts
after sleep. When it didn't restart after sleep it would only respond
to the power button.

 From a dead start; push the power button, the button light comes on
doesn't go off until the button is released, the fan runs quietly, I
hear/feel the HD or DVD index two or three times (I think that's what
it is), after 8-10 seconds the fan goes into turbine mode and that's
the way things will remain - no bong. I push and hold the power
button again at which time the button light comes on and remains on
as long as I continue to depress the button. After about 5-8 seconds
the machine shuts off. The button light goes out after I release the
button.

I've reseated the graphics card, the memory, and all internal cable
connections. I've tried every possible combination of PMU and battery
antics that I've seen on the forums and that I can matrix. Yes, the
battery is between the specs of 3.3 to 3.6v -- 3.548. Power supply
provides 5v and 12v at HD connector, 5v trickle when powered off, and
25v. Not sure about the 3.3v lines because I'm not able to easily get
to them with the PS powered on.

I have some concern in that I've read where the PMU should only be
pressed once and then not pressed again until the computer has gone
through a power cycle. Does the fact that my machine has not fully
restarted constitute a violation of that rule and what are the
consequences? However, the same failed attempts were experienced
repeatedly even before the case was opened.

Tried booting from the DVD. Tried booting with either HD
disconnected. Tried booting with all drives removed. Of course, none
this matters because the boot never gets past the POST (BONG!
hardware check complete).

One possibility I've considered is the front panel board (FPB). The
power button requires considerable force but unless there is more
than one contact in there, the switch apparently is working. The
other likely, and more expensive, possibility is the
logic/motherboard.

Have I overlooked anything? Help!

Specs: MDD dual 1.25 pre-2003. Two sticks of 512 PC2700, basic nVidia
GeForce4 MX with 32MB, SuperDrive, Apple Pro keyboard, Logitech
Marble mouse, two 160 ATA HDs with 10.4.9 and 9.2.2 on both. Just a
vanilla G4.