[G4] How do they do that?????

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 09:19:05 PDT 2007

This has really got me puzzled!

I am going through my old cassette tapes and
digitizing things I don't have elsewhere (i.e. on LP
or CD). Being a keen LEM guy I'm using a Digidesign
Audiomedia II NuBus soundcard in my trusty 33MHz
Quadra 950 to convert Analogue to Digital. I'm then
burning the tracks onto a CD (old Yamaha SCSI burner
fitted in the 950). All done with OS 7.1 :-)

At this point the 950 runs out of steam, so I transfer
the burned CD to my G4 AGP for importing into iTunes
and conversion to MP3's. This may seem a longwinded
way of doing things but, in short, the Audiomedia II
card has great analogue performance and the results
sound excellent.

Last night I came across a cassette on which I had
taped a copy of an LP I did not own (ohh, oldstyle
illegal copying): Janis Ian, Between the lines. So I
did the A to D, and put the resultant tracks on a CD
(named track_1, track_2, ect).

When I put the cd in my G4, iTunes starts up, and
pulls down from the internet the exactly correct track
names, times, artist, and album name!!!

I was gob-smacked! How can it tell that these
soundfiles where made by Janis and not, for instance,
by me strumming my guitar? The original source (LP)
predates CD's, MP3's, the internet......

Super-confussed,
John