[G4] ATA BUS QUESTION

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Sat Apr 28 16:50:23 PDT 2007

Greetings ( + )!( + )

I was trying to remove the partitions on my 120 Gb main drive, the one
that is listed in the system profile first, the one that is connected
to the last connector on a G4 Sawtooth, and ran into some problems. And
by problems I mean that the system wouldn't boot, well no problem as my
second disk 120 Gb which is connected to the first connector has OSX
10.3.9 installed and is current.

WRONG, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the G4 platform to boot.
Well after a whole lot of frustration I did get it to boot from the OSX
install disk, however I couldn't install OSX 10.3 on the errant disk
and when I choose my second disk (the good one) as the start-up disk,
no luck it wouldn't boot.

So I decided to reverse the order of the installed disks and see if I
could get started and reformat the disk that had gotten screwed up.
Well that didn't work either, I had to take the bad disk completely out
of the system before I could get the platform to boot.

You may ask did I ever get the bad disk formatted, Yes, however I had
to put it into my external USB drive housing. Then I was able to format
the drive and reinstall it into the system. Why didn't I keep it in the
USB housing, because I keep a 200 Gb drive in there because as you all
know, if I put the 200 Gb drive inside of the G4 platform I would only
had access to 120 Gb.

So my bottom line is, yes it might make a difference which order the
drives are installed, but you can usually overcome any problems that
might arise.

On Apr 28, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Ronald Steinke wrote:

> On 28 Apr, 2007, at 5:29 AM, Frank Sudore wrote:
>
>> As far as speed is concerned does it matter where your boot/system
>> drive is positioned? I'm thinking I need to reposition a few things.
> As far as I have seen, it doesn't seem to matter where your boot
> system is located as long as it is an active system and can be chosen
> as the startup drive in the system preferences.
>
> Of course, my older eyeballs can't see much difference in processor
> speed between a 1.4GHz and a 1.8GHZ machine. Where my eyes see the
> difference is when I apply a filter to an image file or drag and drop
> a file. I can tell that the newer machine is faster but that is about

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Congress!
Men's restroom House of Representatives,
Washington, DC