[G4] extra printer drivers-more

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Aug 13 11:00:09 PDT 2007

On 08/13/07, A2L1 <mr.a2l1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks everyone ,I do have over 30 gigs of iTunes. What I am trying to do is
> to eliminate any and all unnecessary files from the internal hard drive. I
> do have external drives. Actually made a tower with 4 250 gig harddrives and
> converted it from SCSI to firewire and use that for the "additional space".
> I do alot of movie modification/conversion and rather than let it run from
> the external drives I use the internal drive then move it to the external
> storage for later effects or modification at which time I return it to the
> internal drive. The mini seems happier when the work is done on the internal
> drive.
> Since I dont want the drive tower to run all the time I prefer to keep the
> iTunes on the internal drive. The movie work is moved to an external drive
> when I am done playing with, it until later.
> I am looking to gain about 5-6 gigs minimum of space to make the movie work
> "more comfortable". Currently out of an 80 gig internal drive(which shows as
> a 74.4 gig drive I have 19 gigs free, 55.8 used. With 30 gigs as itunes that
> means that there is about 25 gigs MOL of operating system and apps, if 3.8/4
> gig is apps then the rest is just OS X. This seems excessive for just the OS
> and I wanted to trim it down.

IMHO, 30 GB of iTunes is excessive. That said, however, the OS is probably
taking up less than 5 GB. The rest are associated with applications. The
easiest thing to do is remove unnecessary foreign language .lproj files. I use
DeLocalizer for that. See <http://forums.bombich.com/viewtopic.php?t=6453> for
details. BTW, the only drawback to running your tower anytime your using the
computer is the minimal power usage.

NOTE: Some Adobe apps have problems when you remove certain .lproj folders;
you'll have to determine which and what to do in that case. You can safely
remove any printer stuff you don't have from /Library/Printers/, but in no case
should you remove anything else from /Library, /System, or any of the
root-level hidden folders unless you know exactly what you're doing and you're
willing to suffer a destroyed OS.