[G4] Upgrade to USB 2.0

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Fri Aug 17 11:00:52 PDT 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Harry Freeman wrote:

> Greetings ( + )!( + )
>
> Pat I don't understand what "old" has to do with anything, I'm =20
> "old" too, been working on computers for more than 40 years, I =20
> would recommend that you get something like the "Adesso 4-Port =20
> Powered Hub Mini Hub" because the devices that you connect to the =20
> Hub will not draw power from your Mac. platform. which is important =20=

> because the more power the you use from the Mac. the shorter the =20
> life expecentancy of your Mac. system. And if something happens to =20
> the "Wall-Wart" they are easy and cheep to replace.
> Below is Overview of the Adesso Mini Hub and you can obtain one =20
> from http://www.pcuniverse.com/product.asp?pid=3D62800&m_id=3D32 for =20=

> $6.41 each plus $6.98 shipping.
>
> Adesso offers USB Mini 4-Port powered mini hub. This hub supports =20
> both high-speed and low-speed devices. Its ports are reliable at up =20=

> to 4,5 m of transmission. Downstream ports have automatic connect =20
> and speed detection function plus over-current protection with auto =20=

> recovery. Bus fault detection will automatically reset device. The =20
> hub supports bus-powered and self-powered mode.
>
> Don't worry if it doesn't state that it's for a Mac. the USB =20
> standard is a IEEE regulated standard and all platforms that state =20
> that they run USB must meet the standard.

*
I use a six-port "IoGear powered hub, which has a compact flash card =20
reader in it.  In addition to the hub connection (printers, hard =20
drives, scanner, etc.) I keep a 2GB compact flash card installed, =20
which acts as a quickie HD for moving miscellaneous data back and forth.

The hub was about $29.95 and the 2GB CF card is now about $40.

Cheers!

earle
*

Earle Jones =F0