[G4] iTunes resource hog! Found a solution

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Thu Aug 30 08:51:26 PDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 10:49 PM, A2L1 wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am going to post this in another mac group also so please no offense
> or protocol infractions intended, just want to try and help.
> I have a mini and have maxed out the ram therefore I cannot do
> anything more to increase the memory in my computer. I did notice that
> whenever I was using iTunes there was a pretty significant "drag" on
> the system after some time and it turns out that iTunes was using well
> over 400 megs of ram, sometimes way more.
> I tried shutting off all the options in iTunes but that didnt help
> much. I didnt want to just dump it because I needed it to handle my
> iPod. Well after some searching I did find a nifty little app that
> plays the music just fine and is very very miserly on the ram use. It
> has yet to exceed 20 megs usage and it plays everything just fine. No
> album covers or video,etc though.
> I did alot of searching and although I did find a few other options
> they were almost as bad as iTunes as far as the ram use.
> Here is the link for those that are interested its called whamb :
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/whamb/
> A J
> --
Greetings ( + )!( + )

I'm wondering how you got the memory reading that you are quoting? If I
open iTunes and then open the application "Activity Monitor" and let
iTunes play for an hour the "Real Memory" that is used for "iTunes" is
always the same "48.78 MB" however the "Virtual Memory" does change.

So all that I can surmise is that you are also out of "Hard Disk"
space, which means that the iTunes application, when it is active, the
OS doesn't have anywhere to put the iTunes baggage. i.e. you need more
Hard Disk space so that you will have more "Virtual Memory" room.

Yes, Whamb is nice, but I still say that you need more disk space. And
if your Mini can't take a bigger disk then you should get a Firewire
disk and move all of your iTunes (application and music files) to the
Firewire disk. Then after you are sure that you have done everything
Okay, back-up your main disk and then delete all of the iTunes stuff on
your main disk.

Next run "Applejack" to clean up the main disk. Now you should have
enough disk space for "Virtual Memory" to operate.

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)