[G4] Firewire issue

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Fri Aug 31 14:45:58 PDT 2007

Greetings ( + )!( + )
On Aug 31, 2007, at 2:30 PM, Jim Davis wrote:

> I just had to replace my ipod under the battery replacement program.
> I brought home the new piece,
> and my g4 dual 867 MDD doesn't see it.  It also doesn't see any
> firewire ports in the system profiler.
> My previous ipod was connected to the same port and the same cable,
> and had been working fine.
> I run both Onyx and MacJanitor to keep things relatively smooth
> running.
> I brought the ipod back to the Apple store, and they tell me their
> machine sees it, so apparently,
> it's not the new (refurb) ipod. (40gig gen2 clickwheel monochrome.)
> Thanks- Jim.

IIRC, you initially had the choice of initializing your iPod/iTunes
either to function with a Mac only or with Windows. If you selected
Mac., then it wouldn't function within the Windows operating system.
However if you selected Windows the the iPod/iTunes would function with
both the Mac. platform and the Windows operating system.

If you can take the iPod to a Windows platform and see if it will
recognize the iPod.

Or if you have a second Hard Disk connected to your system with an
operating system that can be used then boot to that system and install
a new copy of iTunes.

If you can now see the iPod, format the iPod disk for Windows.

When my granddaughter first got her iPod (about 4 years ago) we
connected it to my Mac. and installed about 50 tunes on the device.
When she got home and tried connecting it to their WINTEL platform she
couldn't connect and install more tunes. So we had to erase all of the
installed songs and reformat the HD.

Good luck, or perhaps you can take it back to the Apple Store and ask
them to format it for Windows.