[G4] Firewire issue

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Aug 31 18:53:46 PDT 2007

On 31 Aug, 2007, at 14:45, Harry Freeman wrote:

> If you can now see the iPod, format the iPod disk for Windows.
>
> When my granddaughter first got her iPod (about 4 years ago) we
> connected it to my Mac. and installed about 50 tunes on the device.
> When she got home and tried connecting it to their WINTEL platform
> she couldn't connect and install more tunes. So we had to erase all
> of the installed songs and reformat the HD.

Doing what you suggest will make the iPod susceptible to all the
viruses that can affect any Windows formatted drive. Some iPods were
accidentally infected at an assembly plant with a Windows only virus
a couple of months ago and Apple apologized for releasing them to
public sales without checking them. Apple offered to repair the iPods
if you took them to an Apple store.

You only need to format an iPod IF you intend to connect it to a
Windows machine. As long as you only use it with a Mac, you don't
need to format it again unless you cause serious problems in
operating it and need to do a hard reset.

Of course it wasn't recognized. Windows machines are not capable of
recognizing anything that is not formatted as a Windows device. It
would not have been permitted to load because of the "alien" system
that is installed on it as a Mac iPod. The same conditions exist with
other devices such as Zip cartridges, floppy disks (remember those?),
flash drives, and memory sticks. If it is formatted as Mac, the
Windows machine won't be able to see it and may ask if you want to
initialize it. Tell it "NO" in big letters if it does ask!