[G4] Overheating G4

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 18:05:31 PDT 2007

On 8/31/07, Steve Jensen <sjensen at photodynamik.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> My daughter has a 15" G4 1.67, X.4.10 that is running so hot that she
> cannot use it on her lap. The fans no longer run at all!   The bottom
> toward the back is very hot to the touch.  It started this a couple
> weeks ago.  Previously the fans ran and the case was only warm.  So far
> operation of the G4 does not seem to be effected. Is this hardware or
> software? Should she stop using it? Will this temperature cause damage
> and if so, how soon?  Any remedies and ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.

She should stop using it.  I don't know how soon it will cause damage.
 Some processors will burn themselves to a crisp in less than a second
without a heatsink and fan (though you still have the heatsink at
least).

If it were me (having no experience with Apple laptops), I'd open it
up, see if the fans have any indication of what voltage they expect.
I'd apply that voltage to the fans and see if they power up.  If they
don't, I'd buy new fans off eBay.  If the fans *did* power up, then
there's probably something wrong on the motherboard.  I'd give up at
that point and start looking for a new computer.

If I were giving you advice, I'd say to bring it into an Apple store
and have them look at it.  :)

--
Rich