[G4] ready to go

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Aug 31 18:43:05 PDT 2007

On 31 Aug, 2007, at 13:41, thekirkline1941 at verizon.net wrote:

>  My LaCie external hard drive, which has all my data backed up, is
> currently disconnected. I am assuming that, when I reconnect it, it
> will be recognized and I can just copy all the data to the new hard
> drives.

Yes, it will be recognized when you connect it and all the data on it
will be readable. Of course, this depends on you having a valid
operating system on one of your drives for it to see the external
drive when the machine is started up.

No, you cannot simply copy all the data on it to the new drives. OS-X
does not allow a simple "drag and drop" copy method with the system
folder. There are invisible files that will not be copied using drag
and drop.

You should use a third-party utility program like SuperDuper or
TechToolPro or DriveGenius to copy the entire contents of one OS-X
drive to another. OR, another way to copy the contents and have the
new copy as a bootable drive is to use Apple's own program,
DiskUtility, and use the Restore function by selecting your original
drive as the source and the new drive as the destination for the
restoration.