[G4] booting options with failed hard drive?

YOUR FRIEND, CHRIS august.ham at verizon.net
Wed Dec 5 09:41:57 PST 2007

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 07:41:21 -0500
From: "jonseward at mindspring.com" <jonseward at mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [G4] booting options with failed hard drive?
To: g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com

Carbon Copy Cloner.  Make sure that all files, including the invisible
ones
are cloned.

I don't see the point of putting the cloned install disc on your primary
drive.  It's more likely that the drive will fail
than the partition.

Have you thought of installing a second, internal hard drive?  There's
plenty of room.  If the drive is cable selected,
then a if your primary drive fails you will automatically default to
start
off of your secondary, w/o needing the
keyboard command.

Similarly, you can boot from your install disc in your optical drive.
HTH,
Jon

Hello JON!

thanks for your reply. i have a couple questions; i do not know a thing
about any of this, so please bear with me.

Carbon Copy Cloner.  Make sure that all files, including the invisible
ones
are cloned.

= i made the clone using prosoft data backup 3. does the fact that it
will boot from the clone partition of my external verify that all the
data on my internal - including the hidden files - is properly copied?

I don't see the point of putting the cloned install disc on your primary
drive.  It's more likely that the drive will fail
than the partition.

= what i meant is i want to put the copied os's on my external hd; if
you think i should do that, should they go on the clone partition, make
their own partition - or does it matter?

Have you thought of installing a second, internal hard drive?  There's
plenty of room.  If the drive is cable selected, then a if your primary
drive fails you will automatically default to start off of your
secondary, w/o needing the keyboard command.

= yes i have; in fact i originally bought one and exchanged it for the
mercury. cash is tight and i want to minimize what i spend on this 8
year old unit; even though more expensive, the mercury can "follow" me.

Similarly, you can boot from your install disc in your optical drive.

= ok - i think this is what i'm after! does this mean that in case of
main hard drive failure, i can install an os install cd or dvd, restart
holding down "c", and then somehow select the external drive to boot
from?
if thats the case, then i won't have to worry about buying another kb,
correct?

= one last one; one of the discs i have is leopard {retail} i want to
back it up and eventually install it when i figure out how. i've read a
lot of people do their os upgrades from a separate partition, keeping
the original os intact in case of problems[?] then switching to the
upgrade. please explain exactly how to do this; will installing it on a
partition be the same as having the install dvd? {my dvd reader is
acting up too, so i'd like at least have it on the machine to install
somehow in case that fails too}

thanks again
chris