[G4] motherboard vs. pci drive controller

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 07:36:56 PST 2007

On 12/06/07, Devon Ravine [devonr at nwfdailynews.com] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 pci hard drive controller
> card that I was considering installing in my G4 (AGP) 400 mh.
> machine. I'm not all that concerned about large drive support
> or putting more than 2 drive in the G4. But I was wondering
> if anyone on the list could tell me if there are performance
> benefits (read/write speed, etc) to using a pci hard drive
> controller vs. the on-board controller.

There shouldn't be.  Just going on my failable memory, I think the on-board
controller is actually also a PCI controller, only it's hardwired into the
PCI bus instead of being on a plug-in card.  I also think the on-board
controller is ATA 100 instead of ATA 133, but I doubt that'd make a very
noticeable difference.

--
Rich