[G4] booting options with failed hard drive?

jonseward at mindspring.com jonseward at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 6 12:50:55 PST 2007

Hi Chris,

Your original install disc &/or software rstore discs issued with the
computer are the gold standard for booting.
Save them, keep them well, make cloned copies to store elsewhere.  Can't go
wrong.  I had an old PowerMac and
sometimes thing would get hinky on the new OS and I'd have no recourse but
to you those old legacy floppies.

You should be able to boot up from your Leopard install disc from the
computer's optical drive, or from a portable
drive, should the internal drive go bad.  Once you boot up, you may have
little or no access to the files and
applications on the corrupted internal drive - but at least you can take a
look around.

Repair utilities like Tech Tool pro and Disk Warrior can also help to
repair and salvage drives and files that have gone
bad, without needing to wipe a drive clean or trash it.

Similarly, there is a utility application available to add partitions to an
existing boot drive without reformatting or
losing data.  Since you don't want to buy another drive, you may want to
look at that.

I've never had a partition become so corrupted that I could not reinstall
the OS or salvage the files.  I have had
physical/electronic problems with drives that have crippled them and led to
the loss of data and files.  That's why I
prefer the multiple drive approach over multiple partitions.

If your OS data becomes corrupted and the drive is sound, then you should
be able to do a clean install of the OS
directly from your install disc, holding down 'C" at startup, and not need
to invest in another hard drive.

Myself, I try to always install another internal drive, larger than my boot
drive, partitioned minimally to provide one
partition for a pristine version of the OS, and another partition for
backup files.

HTH,

jon