[G4] [Help] PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 800MHz on PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics, it works?

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 06:22:25 PST 2007

Francisco,

I don't think anybody has addressed your question.

I doubt you can use a QS dual processor in your AGP.

The first question is can you run a dual processor
with your motherboard. You have to check the revision
using this app:

http://www.macbidouille.com/downloads/UniNorthASICChecker.sit

It will let you know if your motherboard supports dual
processors.

The second factor is physical. The motherboard cpu
connector is the same, but the daughterboard is a
different shape. You would have to be able to solder
and hack the heatsink.

I have an older AGP that wouldn't take a dual up-grade
so I fitted a 733MHz single from a QS. I just removed
the ata dvd interface and used the main one instead. I
use SCSI drives anyway. I then resoldered the speed
configuration resistors so that the cpu ran at 800MHz
with the slower 100MHz bus. I hacked some of the fins
off the heatsink so the case closes.

It works. Runs Tiger. I use it at work. But I wouldn't
recommend it. Faster Macs are to be had for not much
money, and no effort/risk.

If you CAN run a dual cpu then look for an original
Apple dual 450 or 500. That's an easy, cheap, plug and
play upgrade.

To make your mac run faster:
1) get at least 1Gb of ram
2) fit a modern ATA harddrive with a big cache and
7200rpm.
3) get a modest video card upgrade, that will run
quartz extreme. Flashed PC version on ebay work.
4) Relax. What do you expect from a 7 year old machine
:-)

John

--- Francisco <franciscoeugeniomalheiros at yahoo.se>

<http://br.rd.yahoo.com/mail/taglines/mail/*http://br.mail.yahoo.com/>,