[G4] increasing the speed on my G4-350

Brian Deuel fusekigames at briandeuel.com
Fri Dec 21 17:18:17 PST 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:57:15 -0500, "Skygram" <skygram at gmail.com> said:
> Scott,
>
> Your speed should increase if you add more RAM and moving up to Tiger
> will
> also help. These older machines are still valuable. I have one that is
> slightly newer and I still think that it is an amazing machine when you
> consider how old it is. I bought it in 2000.
>
> You can also pick up a faster processor for a few hundred bucks that can
> push it beyond a Ghz and you can keep it running for a few more years
> yet.
>
> I am going to see if I can get ten years out of my G4 tower.

Not to spam, but I wrote up my experience with upgrading a Gigabit
Ethernet DP500 G4 with a Sonnet Encore/ST 1.8ghz processor. You can use
the same processor on your 350, as long as it's got AGP graphics. If
not, there's always the Encore/ZIF for the PCI graphics ("Yikes")
models, which will bring your CPU speed up to 500mhz or 1ghz.

You can read about installing the Encore/ST at
http://www.briandeuel.com.

----
Brian Deuel
BrianDeuelDotCom