[G4] Re: G4] Re: DVR problem

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun Feb 4 13:49:41 PST 2007

On 02/04/07,  keith_w <keith_w at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Brett George wrote:
>> Yes, that's what I do. I also do periodic maintenance on the entire OS
>> (10.4.8). But that's not a fix. It's 'making do' and it shouldn't be
>> that way. This has been a KNOWN problem with Safari and firefox ever
>> since they came out. It's been more than long enough for a fix to have
>> been found IF the programmers cared to. I think that they think it's a
>> minor problem and would rather devote their time to making cool stuff
>> instead of some boring code fix!
>
> I agree with you all the way.
> I'd hope some decision-maker would see to fixing memory leaks.
> That sort of thing cripples an otherwise fine program, for a lot of people.
>
> Cross your fingers that someone with a little clout reads this list, and
> will assign a little priority to that problem.

You could, if running Safari, periodically empty its cache. Alternatively, you
could enable Safari's Debug menu: quit Safari, launch the Terminal app, type in
this command, hit the return key, relaunch Safari,  select Debug->Always check
for world leaks, and see what's reported:

	defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

To turn off the Debug menu, use this:

	defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 0