[G4] Browsers (need for partitioning)

Send2Rich at aol.com Send2Rich at aol.com
Fri Feb 9 12:22:27 PST 2007

As long as you only use OS 9.2.2 as Classic under OS 10, you won't have to
partition the 250GB drive.   If you need to boot OS 9, you will need to keep the
OS 9 boot partition under about 190 GB, or OS 9 will hang when booting
(personal experience).   OS 9 can access all your data on all your partitions.

There are many ways to do the partitioning.    I have a 20 GB partition for
booting OS 9 - probably about twice the size that it needs to be since OS 9 can
access data on all my other drives and partitions (largest is 460 GB).   The
major drawback to this approach is that it does duplicate the OS 9 software,
since Classic needs to be the same partition as OS 10 to avoid anomalies.

I experienced some issues with booting OS 9 on the OS 10 partition after
upgrading to 10.4.7: many of my Applescripts would not run.   I suspect that part
of the 10.4.7 upgrade included some changes to OS 9 extensions to make Classic
work better, but it gave me problems when operating in a pure OS 9.2.2
environment.   I copied OS 9.2.2 from a pre-upgrade backup to the 20 GB partition,
and everything works fine.

One caution - 190 GB might be too big.   There's no Apple documentation on
the maximum size for an OS 9 boot partition, only a few user postings.   I
haven't experimented to confirm the maximum size, so it might be a something less
than 190 GB.   If you have time, try 190 and boot OS 9.   Otherwise, I'd be a
little conservative and go with 180 GB for the main partition and whatever is
left for second.   I can say from experience that OS 9 will not boot from 385
GB and 470 GB partitions.

While you will need to initialize your external drive before you can use it,
it does not need OS 10 or OS 9, unless you want to boot into either of those
operating systems from the external drive.   I would strongly recommend having
at least OS 10 (with Classic) on the external drive in case something happens
to the internal drive.   That will provide a more convenient means (compared
to booting from a CD/DVD) of troubleshooting and repairing some problems.

Rich