[G4] Browsers (need for partitioning)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Feb 10 23:41:19 PST 2007

On 02/10/07,  Margaret Krakowiak <imago at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> For use as Classic, OS9 should be on the same partition as X,
> but for use as a bootable system it should be on a different partition?
> Meaning two OS9 installs?
>
> Right now on my new internal drive I put OS9 and X on different partitions,
> and was planning to use that  OS9 system for Classic apps. Are you saying
> that's not good to do, and that 9 for Classic designation should be on the
>same
> partition as X, and I should do another OS9 install on the X partition?

No. I'm an advocate of keeping them on separate partitions. That allows using
Startup Disk to easily select either as the boot drive. Additionally, when in
OS X you can use the OS 9 on the other partition as Classic without messing
anything up on either partition. That also allows you to reinstall OS X without
hosing up anything on OS 9 or vice versa. This is especially handy if the
directory gets a bit hosed and Disk Utility can't fix it, eliminating using
something like Disk Warrior to fix things. Keeping them separate simplifies my
usage. BTW, I also have both backed up to an external FWHD and make backups on
a regular basis. That also simplifies fixing a hosed directory. Boot into the
backup, erase the hosed installation, and clone back.