[G4] To upgrade or to replace

Mark Sexton marksexton at mac.com
Tue Feb 13 21:02:03 PST 2007

I am using a Gig ethernet dual 450 machine with 1GIG of RAM and a
superdrive.  When playing video, such as youtube or even videos from
iTunes, my frames skip and it's overall a pretty disappointing
experience.  I have the opportunity to upgrade this machine.  I am
looking for the processor upgrade at the PowerLogix PowerForce Series
100 DUAL G4-7455/1.0GHz and runs around $280, and for video, an ATI
Radeon 9800 w/ 256MB which runs $250, both prices are new units.
Once I look at the cost to upgrade the machine to a moderately useful
setup, I feel I could get a similar setup with the purchase of a used
machine purchased on ebay.  I could then turn around and sell my old
unit for about $300.  My computer isn't used for anything
particularly processor intensive other than editing photos in
iPhoto.  I am just looking for some opinions on where I get the best
bang for my buck, and whether a machine replacement isn't just as
beneficial as a couple of new parts.  Obviously, I would love to buy
something in a used G5 machine, but do I need that much processor for
my menial tasks.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Mark