[G4] To upgrade or to replace

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 14:37:20 PST 2007

Mark,

There has been a long history of 3rd party CPU
upgrades for Apples.
I'm sure that they do give a boost, but the useabilty
of a computer depends on many factors. Since you've
already got a good quantity of RAM, try Tiger if you
haven't yet. I think it's faster. And a modest video
card upgrade so that Quartz Extreme is supported (I
run a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX in my 350MHz G4). If you
don't game, I don't think you need more video. You can
get some flashed PC cards from eBay cheeply. A modern
disk drive helps alot also.

What do you use for a screen? Why not spend some cash
on a nice big LCD? That's the bit you look at, and you
can re-use it when next you upgrade. Personally I have
always found that more screen area = better enjoyment.
Two screens is even better :-)

But I don't see the point of supercharging the engine
with a 100MHz bus. Plus most productivity apps do not
benefit from dual CPU's. So if you want to go faster,
I think you might be happier with a faster single CPU
in a more modern PowerMac. Let someone else cut their
teeth on your old one.

Hope that helps, John