[G4] How to check my drive?

Celia Lawton-Livingstone lawli56 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 03:29:34 PST 2007

<snip>

    I have no backup discs.

Do you have the install disks that came with that machine orginally. If not,
get them from whoever gave you the machine. The suggestions others have made
are basically useless without have the proper installation and Apple
Hardware
Test disks for that machine. You might be able to install Panther or Tiger,
but
need the OS 9 disks and an installation to update the machine's firmware.

Unfortunately they didn´t have restore discs as they were given the machine
but have never had it running, however the fates must be smiling on me,
because I picked up some restore discs for OS 9.2.1, OS 10.0.4 and the Apple
Hardware Test CD for G4 on eBay last night for a tenner. If everything goes
OK I'll buy the lastest upgrade 10.4 in a month or two. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260088434785&rd=1&rd=1

The drive, a 10gb Quantum Fireball, was dead as I was able to check it using
an iMac restore disc I was given, so I've replaced it with a 40gb Maxtor I
had lying around and partitioned it (do you call that initialised?) ready to
use... after I swopped the CD drive for a DVD drive of course. Apart from
that it seems to be working OK... good job I'm a tech cos trying to find
someone to work on Macs around here is like goldust... which is the reason
I'm learning. Nice to work on btw and I'm impressed buy the build quality.
:)

I also checked for the firmware update on Apple and read up on how to
update... I was wondering what that little button was for.  I also found out
the "option"  button is the "alt" button on my keyboard and the "Apple"
button is the command button. Heh, that's also the US layout, so I'll have
to look at it when I'm typing certain symbols... I'm in the UK, out in the
wilds of East Anglia...

Now I waiting excitedly for my discs to arrive... :D

Celia