[G4] Fire port inside sawtooth?

B G briang113 at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 22 12:22:13 PST 2007

FireWire is essentially a very fast serial version of SCSI . It
supports 63 devices, has a bandwidth of 400 Mbps, is hot swappable
like USB, and supplies up to 60W of power to FireWire devices.

And, because it's related to SCSI, it requires less CPU control than
the IDE family of interfaces.

So by building a internal FireWire port into the Sawtooth
motherboard, Apple made it possible to add additional internal high
speed drives without using IDE slave mode (which is slower than
master mode) or adding a SCSI or IDE card.

Doesn't that sound nice, unfortunately the hardware market never
caught on. The price on IDE dropped really fast and now SATA is the
way to go.

So you have a nice port and not much to plug into it.

Brian

G4 gigE 1.0 GHz Powerlogix, 1 GB RAM