[G4] LG GCC-4520B in Sawtooth

Carol java_j at macosx.com
Sat Jan 6 14:38:56 PST 2007

Hi folks,

Way back in the days of OS 9, I replaced the cd/dvd reader in my
Sawtooth with a LG DVD/CDRW Combo drive, GCC-4520B.

Only today did I realize that I could get the drive supported by Peak LE
  5.01 by installing Patchburn 3.

What I want to know is if anyone has this drive, in a Sawtooth or not,
and if so, what brands and speeds of recently purchased CD-Rs tend to
work for audio burns.

This issue started when I noticed that I was consistently getting bad
sounding burns with Toast 6 using Taiyo Yuden 52x blanks but my Sony 24x
blanks were fine.  (The T.Y. blanks burned fine in my MDD, which has the
original superdrive.)

I have since tried a single Verbatim 52x CD-R and a single 48x TDK in
the Sawtooth.  Both failed the verification in Peak LE.  My very last
Sony 24x passed the verification.

Maybe I shoud not complain since the drive that came with the computer
did not burn at all.  I replaced the drive because it no longer played
reliably, the burning ability was a plus. Now I want it.

What are your thoughts on external firewire 400 burners?  Should I try
one of those with the Sawtooth?  It is a 400 MHz PowerPC G4 running OS
10.3.9.

Carol