[G4] Large Hard Drive Install

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 17:29:23 PST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 5:12 PM, R. Shane Boughton wrote:

> I have a Maxtor ATA/100 internal hard drive, 200 GB. My G4 450 only
> reads it as 32 GB. I installed a PCI host adapter card but it still
> only reads as 32 GB.
>
> The Maxtor drive box says that I will need an ATA PCI card with 48-
> bit BIOS support. The card I bought is
> only a 32-bit (card info here - http://www.macsense.com/product/
> storage/sua-100e_b.html). Could that be the problem?

The URL you give above says that the card is 48 bit. Even if it were
only 32 bit you'd still be able to get a 128 GB partition from the
drive. Have you looked at the drive in Disk Utility? If so did you
partition and format it for use with OS X (as opposed to Windows)?

Phil
--
"The United States is putting together a Constitution now for Iraq.
Why don't we just give them ours? It's served us well for 200 years,