[G4] Switching internal optical drive to external case

William Landen tlanden at mac.com
Wed Jan 10 18:06:48 PST 2007

Short answer ... It should work fine.

Long Story...
A few years back I gave my sons iBooks that I found dirt cheap.  ~
$450...  My sons were 7, 5, and almost 2 years old at the time.  One
day I hear my youngest son yell, Help!!! (while I am on a conference
call with one of my clients) and then I hear something tumbling down
the stairs.  Sure enough he dropped the iBook, completely ripping out
the optical drive.  I tried to boot the iBook and nothing happened.
Played with it a while an decided it was gone.  Put it to the side
for a couple of weeks until I decided to take the memory out for my
older son's computer.  I looked at the hinge and notice it was not
all the way down on one side.  Made a fist and struck the top of the
computer over that hinge and it snapped back in place.  Opened the
computer and it booted right up like nothing had happened.  Hooked up
a external DVD drive and it has been working ever since.  He uses it
around 5 hours per week.

I gave my father in-law an even older Claim Shell i-Book that the
Optical Drive just quit working and he still uses it for internet and
e-mail.

Not all external drives are the same ... Some are extremely loud.