Subject: [G4] Switching internal optical drive to external case

Slip Kid G-2 at att.net
Thu Jan 11 06:50:53 PST 2007

I added a G4 GE in '05 after 20+ years with M$ boxes.
I knew nuttin' about nuttin' in the AppleWorld!

I did know the Mac 'needed' a DVDR and I gambled 'if' an external worked
I could plug it into my other (M$) machines.
I chose a 'cheap' (generic/OEM model IDVD16DDBE)) IO/Magic 16X DVDR (& I
also needed to spend $15 for a USB2.0 card).
Call it luck, but I've not had any problem with the external (CD's or
DVD's).
It's better than the original internal OD.
As my machine only has 400Mhz, it's not the best config for complex
en/decoding (s-l-o-w)...& not the fault of the DVDR. Yes, it
reads/writes/burns w/out error.

So, I'm sad to hear [here] the external HD isn't as foolproof a solution
(seems some some apps don't recognize an external as an HD?).
I'm maxed out with the internal limits and an outside HD box would be
cheaper than a new IDE gizmo. Plus, I could also move it around like the
DVDR...

No, I don't doubt that some can name a 'brand' (external/optical) which
is guaranteed to 'work' but they seemed a bit pricey (mine was under $60).
Mine wasn't even "supported" for a Mac but it was 'cause the
manufacturer didn't care to give it a whirl. I have seen great reviews
for the drive...but it took some searching (after I bought) as most
people don't even 'know' what they have.

Verdict:
With a combo of PatchBurn & SharePoints I can network/share/use all
drives on all machines/OS's.
An ol' W98SE lapper also has better luck with the external than its
original (crummy) CDROM.
I simply shut the power off, pull the USB cord and plug it into any
machine...
I turn it on and it's fine.

[Good luck!]

Michael