[G4] G4's specs , and upgrading lower end vs purchasing intermediate end.

Dave March dkmnow at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 10:14:44 PST 2007

Sounds like you've got an "AGP Graphics" model that's
been upgraded a bit.  20 Gig HD was standard on those.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_450.html

It _could_ be a "Gigabit" but those supposedly shipped
with a 30 Gig HD.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_450_dp.html

OOPS!  Strike that -- the 450 "Gigabit" is Dual
Processor.

The M-number will tell you what you've got (at least
as it was originally configured) -- that should be on
the back, and will certainly show in the System
Profiler.

"Wind Tunnel" is another nickname for the MDDs
("Mirrored Drive Doors").  I also once saw them
referred to as "Quad-Nostril" :-p  These are the high
end of the G4 PowerMacs.  They weren't a _huge_
improvement over the Quicksilvers, but there are some
advantages, including top speed.  If necessary, the
noise/airflow problem can be addressed without too
much hassle.  My Dual 867 MDD rarely gets loud, though
I assume the higher end models can get pretty loud if
they haven't been modified.

For comparing other G4's go to:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index-powermac-g4.html

Enjoy!  :-D