[G4] Keyboard Upgrade

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Sun Jan 14 10:40:16 PST 2007

Les Berkley wrote:
> Hello!
>

> I have the original keyboard on my G4 400 AGP, and it isn’t my favorite.
> I also think the spacebar is getting a bit wonkey. Any recommendations
> on a nice, well-built replacement? I understand there was a MS keyboard
> that played well with Macs and that had a really nice feel? (I’ve been
> thinking of trying a Dell board, since I like the ones on my Wintel
> boxes, and the price is right.

Note that most of the current Dell keyboards are shaped like this:
http://ww3.cad.de/foren/ubb/uploads/Cooba/Dell-Keyboard.jpg

They aren't flat along the front edge, so they don't sit right against a
wrist rest.  That may not bother you, but I find it really annoying (I
use a Dell workstation at work).  Other than that, the keyboard's fine.

At home I've got this keyboard:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=BBE51B76&nplm=M9034LL%2FA

The keyboard case doesn't extend more than 1/8th inch beyond the keys,
which I find mildly annoying, but it's not as bad as the Dell keyboards.
  The key travel feels a little shorter than your average desktop
keyboard, but I can live with that.  There are more nooks and crannies
in this keyboard than usual, and they collect lots of dust and hair.
The asterisk key on the numeric keypad is where I expect the dash key to
be, and they stuck the delete key between two other keys that are nearly
the same size and shape, so I often hit F13 or \ when I mean to hit
delete.  Overall, it's not too bad, but there's room for improvement.

I really wanted the Matias Tactile Pro keyboard, but it's just too
expensive for me:
http://www.matias.ca/tactilepro/

--
Rich