[G4] The "Marla Syndrome"

Slip Kid G-2 at att.net
Wed Jan 17 08:02:45 PST 2007

Problem:
A sitch w/ a machine w/more juice (I only have 400Mhz) and plenty of RAM
that is tied down by a small (and failing) disc and a dated OS.
Solution:
New disc.
New OS.

[Cloning?!]

===

It seems as though Marla has a nice machine with a 'dated Operating
System' and a disc gasping to survive.
That's not 'bad news'.

Or, what if she "only" slid in a new drive, installed Tiger (booted to
'that' config') and retrieved 'her' data from the old disc?

I doubt any 'old' apps (on the old disc) are going to be missed (a 'wost
case'...if they don't run on Tiger).

I'd wager 'current' (2007) freeware/open source apps are better than any
old app which "won't" run on Tiger (anyway).

See, I think cloning an old (failing) drive w/10.2.8 is 'less good' than
a clean install of a current OS on a new drive.

All one (she) 'needs' are their 'files'. (documents, graphics, mail,
music...) & that's not a "call to clone".
The apps on the old disc (if they are both essential and/or better than
a free or cheap version  - - - And if and only if they won't run on
Tiger) are not a reason to 'clone'.

One need not 'clone' to be 'better off' (in this case).

Or?
Why _not_ install a new drive and do a clean install of Tiger?  [First]

Then. w/ a nice disc/OS? See what can be salvaged from the 20Gig loser
and one need not 'clone' to move that data.

A. I'd wager the above is a fastest & easiest way to get her where she
'needs to be' in '07.
B. One might be getting too hung up on 'cloning' a ('scuse me) dated
setup when 'new disc/new OS install' is an actual 'solution' and not
'just' getting old stuff on a new disc.

BTW, she's had this for how long?
The drive is 'how large'?
How 'much' is on the disc which can't be 'move' to a new disc/OS?

Or, "If the goal is to clone...um, 'clone what...and why'?"

Michael