[G4] Re: Marla Syndrome by Marla-cloning vs clean installs

Marla mitchnickpictures at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 08:48:33 PST 2007

OK gang, just FYI:

I have already backed up the contents of the old drive
onto an external FW drive , that was the first thing I
did after Disk Warrior saved my a--,  so my files are
not jeapardized. It's the software that concerns me!

I'm afraid that if I don't clone, I won't be able to
access the software I use regularly, the main examples
of which are:

-Final Cut Pro (version 3, sadly!)
-Photoshop
-Toast
-Word
-Excel
-Mail (just to get at my saved archive of email now
and then)
-Plus lots of other stuff that I don't really need
(imovie, illustrator, god knows what else)

Now I do not know enough about this to understand
which permissions do not carry over in a simple copy
(not a clone) process. if any of you do, I'd
appreciate the info.

I only have original disks for a couple of things
(none on the above list), as I inherited this machine
from my mom who had it loaded up by her school IT dpt
originally...

So I'd LOVE not to clone, but does that really seem
advisable under the circumstances? I can not afford
new software now and, when I can I will be getting a
faster machine  - though I plan to wait til the intel
processor mac has inspired adobe to get it together...

Thanks again for all your helpfulness everyone,

Marla