[G4] Re: Marla Syndrome by Marla-cloning vs clean installs

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Wed Jan 17 12:37:48 PST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 11:49 AM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:48:33 -0800 (PST)
> From: Marla <mitchnickpictures at yahoo.com>
>
> I have already backed up the contents of the old drive
> onto an external FW drive , that was the first thing I
> did after Disk Warrior saved my a--,  so my files are
> not jeapardized. It's the software that concerns me!

Here, I assume this backup consisted of dragging things, including your
Home/User folder as one entity to the external drive.

> I'm afraid that if I don't clone, I won't be able to
> access the software I use regularly, the main examples
> of which are:
>
> -Final Cut Pro (version 3, sadly!)
> -Photoshop
> -Toast
> -Word
> -Excel
> -Mail (just to get at my saved archive of email now
> and then)
> -Plus lots of other stuff that I don't really need
> (imovie, illustrator, god knows what else)

I hope the real experts out there will either agree or disagree.  I am
limited to looking at my stuff in Panther, 10.3.9.

With both the new drive and the old one in the machine, I would simply
drag each application from the old drive's Application Folder to the
new one.  Test each in succession.  When looking at Apple software such
as Mail, check the Get Info for Mail on the old drive and compare that
with the version info for Mail on the new Drive.  If the same, leave it
alone.  If the old drive carries a later version, move it.

The other things I'd keep in mind are in the old drive's Library.  Look
into the Applications Support and the Preference Folders.

> Now I do not know enough about this to understand
> which permissions do not carry over in a simple copy
> (not a clone) process. if any of you do, I'd
> appreciate the info.

I do not understand the concern with "permissions."  If you copied your
Home folder intact, the permissions that pertain to your own data will
govern.  If you mean "preferences," most of those will be in the Home
folder that you copied on the external drive.  Then check the
preferences in the old Drive's Library.

Best of Luck,
Al Poulin